NOC Swiftwater Rescue
for Whitewater Paddlers
Geared toward the modern-day river runner, this course focuses on progressive and advanced skills while meeting and exceeding all ACA Level 4 Swiftwater Rescue criteria. Our instructors go a step further teaching participants how to manage realistic river rescue situations that a paddler might experience using techniques performed with minimal equipment.
Because of the intensity of this course, participants should consider the following prerequisites:
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Be in good physical condition – this is an active course and participants will be swimming.
- Be proficient in self-rescue and swimming in Class II Whitewater.
- Be familiar with throwing and repacking rope. Please practice before your course begins.
- Capable in craft of choice in Class III Whitewater.
- Have a solid understanding of river reading and hydrology.
- Be familiar with the following knots prior to the course:
- Figure Eight
- Figure Eight Double Loop
- Figure Eight Follow Loop
- Water Knot
- Double Fisherman
*Discounts available through NOC Lodging and Restaurants
Included in Course:
- All necessary specialty whitewater equipment
- Lunch & In-Course Transportation
- NOC’s highly trained, ACA certified instruction
NOC provides all course participants with the following gear: gear bag, paddling jacket, wetsuit and booties, webbing, carabiners, prusiks, etc. Participants are required to bring all other gear and equipment. Exclusive discounts are available for course participants at the Outfitter’s Store.
- Lunch (or money to purchase lunch)
- Boat, Paddle, Helmet, Spray Skirt, etc.
- Rescue Personal Flotation Device (NOC has some on-hand to borrow if needed)
- Throw bag/rope*
- Dry Suit*
- Synthetic T-shirts
- Sunscreen/lip balm
- Towel and change of clothes each day
- Reusable water bottle
- Clothing and personal items
- Synthetic long underwear
- Light fleece hoodie/pullover
- Nose clips
- Eyeglass strap
- Hat or visor
- Ear plugs (if sensitive to water)