NOC Swiftwater Rescue
for Whitewater Paddlers
- Participants must be 14 years or older and accompanied by an adult if under 18.
- Be in good physical condition – this is an active course and participants will be swimming.
- Be proficient in self-rescue and swimming in Class II Whitewater.
- Be familiar with throwing and repacking rope. Please practice before your course begins.
- Have a solid understanding of river reading and hydrology.
- Be familiar with the following knots prior to the course:
- Figure Eight
- Figure Eight Double Loop
- Figure Eight Follow Loop
- Water Knot
- Double Fisherman
*Discounts available through NOC Lodging and Restaurants
Included in Course:
- In-Course Transportation
- NOC’s highly trained, ACA certified instruction.
- Some gear. Please see the Packing List for more details.
Boats (kayaks, canoes, rafts, etc) will not be used for this program.
NOC provides all course participants with the following gear: gear bag, paddling jacket, wetsuit and booties, webbing, and prusiks. Participants are required to bring all other gear and equipment. Exclusive discounts are available for course participants at the Outfitter’s Store.
- Lunch (or money to purchase lunch)
- Face Mask or Cloth Face Covering
- Rescue Personal Flotation Device or Standard PFD*
- Throw bag/rope
- Boat, Paddle, Helmet, Spray Skirt, etc.
- Dry Suit
- Synthetic T-shirts
- Sunscreen/lip balm
- Towel and change of clothes each day
- Reusable water bottle
- Clothing and personal items
- Synthetic long underwear
- Light fleece hoodie/pullover
*NOC has some on-hand to borrow if needed
- Nose clips
- Eyeglass strap
- Hat or visor
- Ear plugs (if sensitive to water)