Let's get old school! Join NOC's Paddling School on the Nantahala River for our limited edition Slicey Boat Clinic. Learn and practice the retro moves that pre-dated modern freestyle, skills that have been made popular again by a range of new and re-booted classic boats. By the end of the clinic, you’ll be well on your way to throwing stern squirts and rock splats, and we’ll show you the best places to perfect your newly learned skills on the Nantahala. Bring your own boat or try the latest in modern and throwback offerings from NOC's Paddling School including boats from Pyranha, Dagger, and Jackson Kayak.
This clinic is appropriate for those who:
- Currently paddle whitewater in a kayak
- Can competently navigate Class II rapids
- Have a strong flatwater roll, and combat rollin Class II whitewater
Participants must be 16 years or older. Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Included in Course:
- In-Course Transportation
- Access to NOC’s extensive fleet of instruction boats for in-clinic use, including most modern slicey boats
- NOC’s highly trained, ACA certified instruction
|No Scheduled Courses|
- Best practices for getting vertical on the bow and/or stern of a kayak (stern squirts and pivots)
- Learning how to stall, rock splat and cartwheel for beginners
- Enders and pirouettes
- Key locations on the Nantahala to practice and perfect your old school moves
- 9:00AM - Check-in and complete paperwork
- 9:30AM - Meet instructor; select gear if needed
- 10:00AM - Nantahala River
- 12:00PM - Lunch (pack your own lunch)
- 1:00PM - Nantahala River
- 3:30PM - Course wrap-up
NOC provides access to our extensive fleet of instruction boats. Participants will need to provide all other necessary whitewater kayaking equipment.
Necessary Items (All Courses)
- Water shoes or old sneakers
- Synthetic T-shirts
- Sunscreen/lip balm
- Towel and change of clothes each day
- Reusable water bottle
- Clothing and personal items
- Rain gear
- Synthetic long underwear
- Light fleece hoodie/pullover
- Nose clips
- Eyeglass strap
- Hat or visor
- Earplugs (if sensitive to water)
Custom Group Planning allows courses to be tailored to your needs and schedule. We can accommodate groups
of friends & family or classes interested in half-day, one-day, or multi-day survival and outdoor skills courses.
Choose the course that best suits your needs!