Advanced Teen Travel Camp
Give your teen the Summer camp experience they will always remember! The NOC Paddling School Advanced Teen Travel Camp provides advanced teen paddlers the opportunity to take kayaking to the next level along with a true road trip adventure; paddling in multiple rivers across the Southeast, camping in campgrounds along the way, eating camp meals, and enjoying the great outdoors, with 24-hour supervision from NOC’s highly trained instructors.
Paddlers should meet the following prerequisites before joining this camp:
- Must be ages 13-17
- Should have a minimum of Class III Kayaking experience
- Should have a reliable combat roll
This camp focuses on river running, creeking, and playboating skills, with emphasis on river awareness and leadership preparation on and off the river. NOC’s Instruction team will guide teens on some of the best rivers in the Southeast to paddle and practice Class III+ skills. Rivers often visited include the Nantahala, Ocoee, Pigeon, French Broad, and Nolichucky.
NOC made the camp super instructive while keeping all the teens entertained!
Can't appreciate the NOC staff enough for how much they could teach my kids!
Camp in Action
- 3–5 PM: Check-In at Paddling School
- 6 PM: Dinner at Relia's Garden
- 6:45 PM: Gear Check-Out at Paddling School
- 7:30 PM: Skill Work on Fontana Lake or Nantahala River
- 9 PM: Platform Tents for the night
- 10 PM: Lights Out
NOC provides the primary gear needed for each course, including boats, paddles, PFDs, helmets, dry tops, and bottoms. Participants will need to provide individual gear outlined below.
See 2021 Parent Handbook for the full packing list.
Necessary items (for all classes)
- Shorts or Swimwear
- Water shoes or old sneakers
- Synthetic T-shirts
- Sunscreen/Lip balm
- Towel and Change of clothes
- Reusable water bottle
- Clothing and personal items
- Rain gear
- Sleeping bag, tent, and sleeping pad
- Toiletries for a week
- Flashlight or Headlamp
- Synthetic long underwear
- Light fleece hoodie/pullover
- Nose clips
- Sunglasses and eyeglass strap
- Hat or visor
- Ear plugs